Join George Maestri for an in-depth discussion in this video Map curved objects, part of SketchUp 2016 Essential Training.
- In SketchUp, we'll often work with curved objects.…So let's take a look at how to texture those.…Now, I'm going to texture this can…and wrap a label around it.…Now, this can is basically just a cylinder.…But we can import a bitmap…and apply it as a texture here.…So I'm going to go import.…Make sure I have this clicked as Texture,…and let's select SoupLabel.…I'm going to go ahead and select Import.…
And as you can see, this sticks to…the surface of that can.…I'm just going to go ahead and left-click…and drag so that it's…the same height as the can.…And when I let go of that,…notice how it only textures part of that can.…Well, the reason it's doing that…is because, if you remember,…a circle is just really a polygon…with smooth faces.…
So it only applied this to the one face…that I had selected.…I'm going to turn off Hidden Geometry.…And the solution for this is actually pretty simple.…You place the texture…and you'll get this effect.…You go into Materials,…select the material,…and then just apply it to the can as whole.…
These tutorials work with both SketchUp Make, the free version of the program, and SketchUp Pro.
- Navigating SketchUp
- Creating camera views
- Configuring the toolbars on Mac and Windows
- Selecting, moving, and scaling objects
- Using the line tools for 3D drawing
- Creating rectangles, outlines, circles, and freehand shapes
- Creating 3D text
- Using the measurement and labeling tools
- Organizing drawings with groups and layers
- Creating components and using components from the 3D Warehouse
- Creating and applying materials
- Working with textures
- Rendering and animating drawings
Skill Level Appropriate for all
SketchUp Pro: Tools and Techniqueswith George Maestri3h 1m Intermediate
SketchUp for Architecture: Fundamentalswith Paul J. Smith4h 49m Intermediate
SketchUp for Architecture: LayOutwith Paul J. Smith6h 17m Intermediate
1. The SketchUp Interface
2. Manipulate Objects
3. Drawing in SketchUp
4. Measure and Label
5. Stay Organized
6. Work with Components
7. Work with Materials
8. Materials on the Mac
9. Work with Textures
10. Rendering and Animation
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.