Learn about how to place textures on SketchUp objects with smoothed and curved surfaces. In this video, George shows you how to take a simple bitmap texture and map it to a cylinder. He shows how the initial mapping is affected by hidden geometry, and how to extend the mapping to the entire object.
- [Instructor] When you import images as textures,…you may run into problems with curved surfaces.…So here I have a simple cylinder.…And let's go ahead and import an image,…apply it to that cylinder,…and I'll show you some techniques.…So, I'm going to go ahead and go into file,…import, and then import a JPEG image…as a texture…and in our exercise files,…we should have something called SoupLabel.jpg.…
Now, when I import that,…we get a familiar thing.…We get our paint bucket…and we can apply this to the object as well.…So if I left click,…I can drag to scale this.…Now, you'll notice a problem…when I left click the second time.…And that's the image did not fully apply…to this cylinder.…Now, the reason for this is simply because…of the way that objects or curved objects…are constructed in SketchUp.…
If I go into my view menu here…and turn on hidden geometry,…you'll see how this cylinder is constructed.…Now, remember, there are no curved edges in SketchUp.…Everything is comprised of straight lines and faces.…All we do is smooth those…
- Navigating the interface for Mac and Windows
- Configuring toolbars and tray windows
- Selecting and moving objects
- Drawing lines and shapes
- Creating 3D text
- Measuring and labeling objects
- Using organizational tools
- Working with components
- Creating and applying materials
- Animating and rendering your drawings
Skill Level Beginner
1. The SketchUp Interface
2. Manipulate Objects
3. Draw in SketchUp
4. Measure and Label
5. Stay Organized
6. Work with Components
7. Materials and Textures in Windows
8. Materials and Textures on the Mac
9. Rendering and Animation
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.