Join George Maestri for an in-depth discussion in this video Line tool fundamentals, part of SketchUp 2016 Essential Training.
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
- Now let's start drawing in SketchUp.…Now SketchUp is a 3-D program, so when we draw in SketchUp,…we are going to be drawing in three dimensions.…Now this requires that we understand how to snap things to…axes so that we're drawing exactly the way that we want.…Now drawing in SketchUp starts with the line tool.…We can get to this in one of two places.…We can go to "Draw", "Lines", "Line",…and the hot key for that is L,…or we can go to the toolbar…and just click on the pencil icon.…
And as you can see, that pencil icon becomes my cursor,…and I can start drawing.…Now drawing the line in SketchUp is as simple as…clicking and dragging.…So if I position this over my scene and left click and drag,…you can see that I have a line.…Now if I hold down my left click,…I can move this line around.…And notice how it snaps to the axes.…So it's snapping here to the green axis, the red axis,…and the blue axis.…
And this is really just SketchUp's way of keeping things…aligned and square to these axes.…And this can really help you draw things precisely.…
These tutorials work with both SketchUp Make, the free version of the program, and SketchUp Pro.
- Navigating SketchUp
- Creating camera views
- Configuring the toolbars on Mac and Windows
- Selecting, moving, and scaling objects
- Using the line tools for 3D drawing
- Creating rectangles, outlines, circles, and freehand shapes
- Creating 3D text
- Using the measurement and labeling tools
- Organizing drawings with groups and layers
- Creating components and using components from the 3D Warehouse
- Creating and applying materials
- Working with textures
- Rendering and animating drawings
Skill Level Appropriate for all
SketchUp Pro: Tools and Techniqueswith George Maestri3h 1m Intermediate
SketchUp for Architecture: Fundamentalswith Paul J. Smith4h 49m Intermediate
SketchUp for Architecture: LayOutwith Paul J. Smith6h 17m Intermediate
1. The SketchUp Interface
2. Manipulate Objects
3. Drawing in SketchUp
4. Measure and Label
5. Stay Organized
6. Work with Components
7. Work with Materials
8. Materials on the Mac
9. Work with Textures
10. Rendering and Animation
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.