Join Scott Onstott for an in-depth discussion in this video Laying out studs on the long wall, part of Designing a Tiny House with SketchUp.
- In this video we're going to lay out the studs…which rest on top of the base plates.…So open the Tiny House 2 and zoom into this corner.…Now, the template that I've provided on the floor plan…is obscured by the base plates.…So there's a couple of different ways…that you can access that.…One, you can press x to go into X-ray mode…and that allows you to see through…the geometry to what is below it.…Another method is to go back into the normal mode…by pressing x, and then select…this base plate and hide it by pressing h.…
And that way we can see the template very clearly.…So, I'm going to orbit around and create…a two by four with the rectangle tool.…I'll start over here and click it over here.…You need to orbit to see that flickering happen…which represents that new surface.…Now, are we sure that's a two by four?…Let's find out, let's measure it with a tape.…You can press t or click the tape measure icon…and click here and then hover the mouse…over this point and it will say one and a half inches.…
In this course, author Scott Onstott shows step-by-step how to build a tiny house, including every virtual stud, sheet of plywood, and appliance going into the project. Along the way, he explores SketchUp features such as components, groups, layers, and textures. By building a house in SketchUp in this detailed manner, you can work out any unforeseen spatial conflicts in the design and virtually eliminate construction problems before you are in the field.
- Importing the house plan
- Framing the structure
- Laying studs and framing walls
- Adding plywood sheathing
- Paneling the roof
- Adding trim, windows, and siding
- Adding interior plywood
- Modeling windows and frames
- Designing the bed, cabinets, counters, and shower
- Adding furniture
- Modeling the trailer
- Animating the tiny house design
Skill Level Intermediate
SketchUp 2015 Essential Trainingwith George Maestri2h 54m Appropriate for all
SketchUp for Architecture: LayOutwith Paul J. Smith6h 17m Intermediate
1. Getting Started
2. Framing the Structure
3. Sheathing the Exterior
4. Applying Exterior Trim, Windows, and Siding
5. Working on the Interior
6. Designing the Slide Out
7. Integrating Built-in Features
8. Adding Furniture
9. Modeling the Trailer and Animating the Tiny House
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.