Join Scott Onstott for an in-depth discussion in this video Laying out cabinets, part of Designing a Tiny House with SketchUp.
- Let's start to build the kitchen.…So let's zoom in here,…take a look at what we have.…We have a lot of complexity…that's come in from the manufacturer's…CAD drawings that have been integrated in here.…We're not going to model all the appliances…in intricate detail, instead we're just…going to suggest the different door panels…that give us an idea of where the appliances are.…And that should be enough for this type of model.…So let's begin by drawing in this partition…that separates these appliances from the sink area.…
Press R and draw a rectangle,…and let's pull that up 34 inches.…I'm anticipating putting a kitchen counter top…on top of this that will be two inches deep,…and so that'll bring up the top surface…of the counter to three feet high,…which is kind of a standard.…So let me triple click on that…and press G to group it.…We're also going to have a kick down here…where you can stick your toe in that area…when you're standing at the counter.…And so we need to model that,…so let's draw a rectangle in here…
In this course, author Scott Onstott shows step-by-step how to build a tiny house, including every virtual stud, sheet of plywood, and appliance going into the project. Along the way, he explores SketchUp features such as components, groups, layers, and textures. By building a house in SketchUp in this detailed manner, you can work out any unforeseen spatial conflicts in the design and virtually eliminate construction problems before you are in the field.
- Importing the house plan
- Framing the structure
- Laying studs and framing walls
- Adding plywood sheathing
- Paneling the roof
- Adding trim, windows, and siding
- Adding interior plywood
- Modeling windows and frames
- Designing the bed, cabinets, counters, and shower
- Adding furniture
- Modeling the trailer
- Animating the tiny house design
Skill Level Intermediate
SketchUp 2015 Essential Trainingwith George Maestri2h 54m Appropriate for all
SketchUp for Architecture: LayOutwith Paul J. Smith6h 17m Intermediate
1. Getting Started
2. Framing the Structure
3. Sheathing the Exterior
4. Applying Exterior Trim, Windows, and Siding
5. Working on the Interior
6. Designing the Slide Out
7. Integrating Built-in Features
8. Adding Furniture
9. Modeling the Trailer and Animating the Tiny House
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.