Join Paul J. Smith for an in-depth discussion in this video Laying the first course of bricks and blocks, part of SketchUp for Architecture: Details.
- So we're going to lay our first course of…bricks and blocks, and it's important to…get these setup correctly, so we got the right…spacing between, it will allow for 10 mil mortar…in between the joints, the perpendicular joints…or the perps, as they're sometimes referred to.…And the blocks are going to come in as well,…and we'll show you how they all sort of line up in a second.…So, if we go over to chapter 02-04,…and here we are, ready to go.…
So, this is where I'm going to start off.…Normally, an experienced brick layer…would come in and lay the corners down,…because it's not so easy on sight…to get these things nicely 90 degrees,…and then the more junior brick layers…will often come in and fill in between.…So, you don't have to have a lot of…experienced brick layers on site.…Not always the case, but that sometimes can happen…because it's important to get these things…lined up correctly.…So the first brick comes in,…and that's just going to drop in at this intersection…in between these two grid lines.…
So that's the easy thing.…
AuthorPaul J. Smith
This installment concentrates on organizing the details in your scenes with the Outliner and Layers panels. As the course shows, well-built and organized SketchUp components allow architects to have greater flexibility at every stage of the design process.
- Creating the brick and block components
- Building walls
- Laying courses of bricks and blocks
- Trenching and backfilling
- Creating the brick halves
- Adding mortar fill and insulation to the cavity
- Creating windows with casements, sills, and jambs
- Organizing the model
- Adding materials
- Exporting the SketchUp model
- Working in LayOut
Skill Level Intermediate
SketchUp Pro: Tools and Techniques (2010)with George Maestri2h 25m Intermediate
SketchUp 2013 Essential Trainingwith George Maestri2h 16m Beginner
SketchUp for Architecture: Fundamentalswith Paul J. Smith4h 49m Intermediate
1. Building Up to the Floor Slab
2. Completing the Wall
3. Making the Window
4. Organize the Completed Model
6. Export and LayOut
Next steps2m 10s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.