In this video, learn about the the SketchUp interface for Microsoft Windows. Learn the location of key menus, and familiarize yourself with the general layout and organization of the software. George gets you up to speed with a look at the new SketchUp tray interface, and shows you how to add panels to the tray.
- [Instructor] Let's start SketchUp for the first time.…Now, I'm using Windows, so my interface will be…a little bit different than the Macintosh OS X interface,…which we will cover next.…Now, I'm going to double-click on my SketchUp icon,…and when we do that, it will give us…this Welcome to Sketchup menu.…And if we want, we can start using SketchUp.…Now, if this is the first time you've used SketchUp,…it may ask you to…choose a template.…
Now, a template really is just a color scheme,…along with a unit of measurement, for your scene.…So, up here, we have a simple template in feet and inches,…and then right below it, we have one in meters.…So, we can select either Imperial or Metric system.…And then if we scroll down, you'll see we have a number…of different templates for working.…Now, I'm just going to go ahead and select the one on the top,…which is Simple Template - Feet and Inches,…and select Start Using SketchUp.…
Now, when I open SketchUp, you'll see that we have…one big window here, and that's our viewport.…
- Navigating the interface for Mac and Windows
- Configuring toolbars and tray windows
- Selecting and moving objects
- Drawing lines and shapes
- Creating 3D text
- Measuring and labeling objects
- Using organizational tools
- Working with components
- Creating and applying materials
- Animating and rendering your drawings
Skill Level Beginner
1. The SketchUp Interface
2. Manipulate Objects
3. Draw in SketchUp
4. Measure and Label
5. Stay Organized
6. Work with Components
7. Materials and Textures in Windows
8. Materials and Textures on the Mac
9. Rendering and Animation
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.