Join Scott Onstott for an in-depth discussion in this video Importing tiny house plan and building subfloor, part of Designing a Tiny House with SketchUp.
- In this video we're going to…import the floor plan of the…tiny home that I've designed.…I drew it in AutoCAD, which is…a great program for laying things out…in two dimensions.…I'm going to bring in this two-dimensional…floor plan into SketchUp, and then…from there we'll use it as a template,…and we'll build our entire model…around it.…So importing CAD data is a…SketchUp Pro only feature.…If you're using SketchUp Make,…you can't do this.…But don't worry.…I will provide you with a sample file…that you can open directly in the…SKP format, which is SketchUp's…neater format.…
So if you're using the Pro version,…go to File Import, and choose…Format AutoCAD Files.…Click Options, and change the…units to inches if it's not already,…and Preserve drawing origin.…Okay.…And then select Floor Plan, Import.…We get a list of all the different types…of objects that were created.…We just have to click Ok.…And then press z to Zoom Extents.…
And you might want to orbit around…and take a look at it by dragging…the mouse wheel.…Rotate the mouse wheel to zoom.…
In this course, author Scott Onstott shows step-by-step how to build a tiny house, including every virtual stud, sheet of plywood, and appliance going into the project. Along the way, he explores SketchUp features such as components, groups, layers, and textures. By building a house in SketchUp in this detailed manner, you can work out any unforeseen spatial conflicts in the design and virtually eliminate construction problems before you are in the field.
- Importing the house plan
- Framing the structure
- Laying studs and framing walls
- Adding plywood sheathing
- Paneling the roof
- Adding trim, windows, and siding
- Adding interior plywood
- Modeling windows and frames
- Designing the bed, cabinets, counters, and shower
- Adding furniture
- Modeling the trailer
- Animating the tiny house design
Skill Level Intermediate
SketchUp 2015 Essential Trainingwith George Maestri2h 54m Appropriate for all
SketchUp for Architecture: LayOutwith Paul J. Smith6h 17m Intermediate
1. Getting Started
2. Framing the Structure
3. Sheathing the Exterior
4. Applying Exterior Trim, Windows, and Siding
5. Working on the Interior
6. Designing the Slide Out
7. Integrating Built-in Features
8. Adding Furniture
9. Modeling the Trailer and Animating the Tiny House
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.