- Let's continue framing this wall…where we have the slideout.…We'll begin by pulling up the studs.…Press P to pull them up.…Press N to toggle back on the display…of the rest of the model.…You want to pull the studs up so that they're…on the bottom of the top plate right there.…Press the space bar to deselect and then click outside.…So the slideout will be modeled later,…but it's not going to be a full height affair.…
Rather, there's going to need to be a beam here…to carry the mechanical equipment…that's necessary to make the slideout work,…and it will also strengthen this large opening…in the side of the building.…So we're going to zoom in down here...…and draw a rectangle by pressing R.…Click that point,…and then pan over by shift-dragging the mouse wheel.…Zoom in by rotating the mouse wheel.…
Click right there to end the rectangle.…Press P.…Click the new surface that you just made and pull it up.…The amount is going to be nine and 1/2 inches,…so type 9.5, Enter.…That gives us a two by 10 beam,…which is appropriate for this sized opening.…
In this course, author Scott Onstott shows step-by-step how to build a tiny house, including every virtual stud, sheet of plywood, and appliance going into the project. Along the way, he explores SketchUp features such as components, groups, layers, and textures. By building a house in SketchUp in this detailed manner, you can work out any unforeseen spatial conflicts in the design and virtually eliminate construction problems before you are in the field.
- Importing the house plan
- Framing the structure
- Laying studs and framing walls
- Adding plywood sheathing
- Paneling the roof
- Adding trim, windows, and siding
- Adding interior plywood
- Modeling windows and frames
- Designing the bed, cabinets, counters, and shower
- Adding furniture
- Modeling the trailer
- Animating the tiny house design
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Getting Started
2. Framing the Structure
3. Sheathing the Exterior
4. Applying Exterior Trim, Windows, and Siding
5. Working on the Interior
6. Designing the Slide Out
7. Integrating Built-in Features
8. Adding Furniture
9. Modeling the Trailer and Animating the Tiny House
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.