Join Scott Onstott for an in-depth discussion in this video Detailing the rain shield, part of Designing a Tiny House with SketchUp.
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
- in this video we're going to build a rain shield…that goes on top of the slideout.…And the idea here is we have a flexible membrane…that makes the rain sort of run off…the roof of the slide out.…We don't want rain to pool on this horizontal…surface, after all.…So let's go ahead and turn on all the layers…and I could make a new layer,…but I think I'd rather just use this Slideout Trim…layer for this purpose,…so I'll select it and make it current.…And then I'll come over here…and on the side of the slideout itself…I'm going to draw a circle…so type C for circle.…
Click some arbitrary center point…and let's give it a radius of 1.5 inches.…I will then double click on that,…press G to make a group,…and let's move it up from this quadrant point over here…so that it goes against the metal siding.…And then let's move it up…so that it's just underneath the trim here on these windows,…about like that.…Now I also want to make sure…that this is in the right location in this direction.…
So we could move it,…make sure you snap it to the end of the slideout.…
In this course, author Scott Onstott shows step-by-step how to build a tiny house, including every virtual stud, sheet of plywood, and appliance going into the project. Along the way, he explores SketchUp features such as components, groups, layers, and textures. By building a house in SketchUp in this detailed manner, you can work out any unforeseen spatial conflicts in the design and virtually eliminate construction problems before you are in the field.
- Importing the house plan
- Framing the structure
- Laying studs and framing walls
- Adding plywood sheathing
- Paneling the roof
- Adding trim, windows, and siding
- Adding interior plywood
- Modeling windows and frames
- Designing the bed, cabinets, counters, and shower
- Adding furniture
- Modeling the trailer
- Animating the tiny house design
Skill Level Intermediate
SketchUp 2015 Essential Trainingwith George Maestri2h 54m Appropriate for all
SketchUp for Architecture: Fundamentalswith Paul J. Smith4h 49m Intermediate
SketchUp for Architecture: LayOutwith Paul J. Smith6h 17m Intermediate
1. Getting Started
2. Framing the Structure
3. Sheathing the Exterior
4. Applying Exterior Trim, Windows, and Siding
5. Working on the Interior
6. Designing the Slide Out
7. Integrating Built-in Features
8. Adding Furniture
9. Modeling the Trailer and Animating the Tiny House
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.