Join George Maestri for an in-depth discussion in this video Draw a structure from a floor plan, part of SketchUp 2016 Essential Training.
- We now have our floorplan mapped to a rectangle.…And we can use this as a template over which…we can actually draw the structure.…So, before I do anything, I'm actually going to align this…to the world, so I'm going to select my rectangle…and use my Move tool to place that…right along the origin, something like that.…Now, once I have this in place,…then my drawing will hopefully…be more aligned to the world.…
So, I'm going to start drawing the outside walls.…And the outside wall of this building…is pretty simple.…It's just a rectangle.…So, I'm going to select my Rectangle tool,…snap to Origin, left-click and drag out here,…and as you can see, it's pretty close…to the stated dimensions, 40 by 26.8.…In fact, I can left-click off of this…and just type in those dimensions.…So, 40 feet, comma, 26 feet 8 inches,…hit Enter, and now we've defined…the outside of the building.…
So, probably the first thing that we want to do…is get the exterior walls.…So, I'm going to go ahead and select this face,…which is the inside of the building,…
These tutorials work with both SketchUp Make, the free version of the program, and SketchUp Pro.
- Navigating SketchUp
- Creating camera views
- Configuring the toolbars on Mac and Windows
- Selecting, moving, and scaling objects
- Using the line tools for 3D drawing
- Creating rectangles, outlines, circles, and freehand shapes
- Creating 3D text
- Using the measurement and labeling tools
- Organizing drawings with groups and layers
- Creating components and using components from the 3D Warehouse
- Creating and applying materials
- Working with textures
- Rendering and animating drawings
Skill Level Appropriate for all
SketchUp Pro: Tools and Techniqueswith George Maestri3h 1m Intermediate
SketchUp for Architecture: Fundamentalswith Paul J. Smith4h 49m Intermediate
SketchUp for Architecture: LayOutwith Paul J. Smith6h 17m Intermediate
1. The SketchUp Interface
2. Manipulate Objects
3. Drawing in SketchUp
4. Measure and Label
5. Stay Organized
6. Work with Components
7. Work with Materials
8. Materials on the Mac
9. Work with Textures
10. Rendering and Animation
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.