Join Scott Onstott for an in-depth discussion in this video Adding exterior skin to the slide-out, part of Designing a Tiny House with SketchUp.
- Our next task is to design a skin that…goes around the outside surfaces of the slideout.…Let's make a new layer called "Slideout Skin"…and make that current.…If you zoom in down here you'll see that there's…provision for a gap here between the frame and the seal…and let's press "t" and measure what that is.…I need to actually click here…because the focus was still in the Layers panel.…I need to click here before I can press "t," okay.…So I'm going to click these two points…and let's see how far it is, half an inch.…
So we're going to have this panel…that's a waterproofing material…that's going to be facing the elements…on the outside of the unit.…So, what I need to do is model that…and I'm having some trouble seeing it in there…but if I orbit just so I can just see it in there.…I'll press "r" for rectangle and draw…the rectangle right from there,…and come around the other side here…and snap it right there.…
Then I'm going to press "p" and pull that out…all the way to the top, and I need to snap up there…so I find some place where I can snap to…
In this course, author Scott Onstott shows step-by-step how to build a tiny house, including every virtual stud, sheet of plywood, and appliance going into the project. Along the way, he explores SketchUp features such as components, groups, layers, and textures. By building a house in SketchUp in this detailed manner, you can work out any unforeseen spatial conflicts in the design and virtually eliminate construction problems before you are in the field.
- Importing the house plan
- Framing the structure
- Laying studs and framing walls
- Adding plywood sheathing
- Paneling the roof
- Adding trim, windows, and siding
- Adding interior plywood
- Modeling windows and frames
- Designing the bed, cabinets, counters, and shower
- Adding furniture
- Modeling the trailer
- Animating the tiny house design
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Getting Started
2. Framing the Structure
3. Sheathing the Exterior
4. Applying Exterior Trim, Windows, and Siding
5. Working on the Interior
6. Designing the Slide Out
7. Integrating Built-in Features
8. Adding Furniture
9. Modeling the Trailer and Animating the Tiny House
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.