Join Scott Onstott for an in-depth discussion in this video Designing the trailer frame, part of Designing a Tiny House with SketchUp.
- In this video, we're going to build the trailer frame…that the tiny house is resting on.…So go into the Layers panel and select…the Trailer layer and make it current.…Orbit underneath the house and…use the rectangle tool to draw a rectangle…across the entire expanse of the base.…And then pull that down six inches.…Triple-click, press g to make a group…and then press b and assign…a dark grey material to the frame.…
Now, this frame would be made of individual elements…that are welded together but because the trailer…is something that's purchased from the manufacturer,…we don't really need to design it as such.…I'm going to keep this more on a conceptual level.…However, there also are going to be structural elements…underneath that come together and make a tongue…that you can attach to the trailer hitch on a truck.…So I think we should model at least that much.…Let's come in here and draw a rectangle.…And start it up there and make it…2,6 enter.…
Double click on it and move it down.…And let's move it in one foot.…
In this course, author Scott Onstott shows step-by-step how to build a tiny house, including every virtual stud, sheet of plywood, and appliance going into the project. Along the way, he explores SketchUp features such as components, groups, layers, and textures. By building a house in SketchUp in this detailed manner, you can work out any unforeseen spatial conflicts in the design and virtually eliminate construction problems before you are in the field.
- Importing the house plan
- Framing the structure
- Laying studs and framing walls
- Adding plywood sheathing
- Paneling the roof
- Adding trim, windows, and siding
- Adding interior plywood
- Modeling windows and frames
- Designing the bed, cabinets, counters, and shower
- Adding furniture
- Modeling the trailer
- Animating the tiny house design
Skill Level Intermediate
SketchUp 2015 Essential Trainingwith George Maestri2h 54m Appropriate for all
SketchUp for Architecture: LayOutwith Paul J. Smith6h 17m Intermediate
1. Getting Started
2. Framing the Structure
3. Sheathing the Exterior
4. Applying Exterior Trim, Windows, and Siding
5. Working on the Interior
6. Designing the Slide Out
7. Integrating Built-in Features
8. Adding Furniture
9. Modeling the Trailer and Animating the Tiny House
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.