Join Scott Onstott for an in-depth discussion in this video Designing the slide-out metal frame, part of Designing a Tiny House with SketchUp.
- In this video, we're going to design the…metal frame that supports the slideout.…So we need to be able to see that.…Let's go up to the "Window" menu and choose "Styles"…and turn off "Section Cuts".…Close this window.…Let's orbit around.…So the slideout is structured by a metal frame…that exists in this area here.…I've designed it to be a two inch wide frame.…So what we're going to do is make a new layer…called "Slideout Frame",…then make that the current layer.…
And then press "r" for rectangle,…and draw a rectangle in that area, like that.…Draw another one over here.…And you see in the plan,…we have some plywood on the interior,…and we're going to have some composite panels…on the outside.…But this is the metal frame.…I'm going to select this little edge…and delete it by pressing the DELETE key,…then press "p" and pull this up.…I want this to go all the way up…to the underside of the rubber seal in here.…
So I'm going to click right on that edge, like that.…Now, this frame isn't supposed to be solid…like you see now.…
In this course, author Scott Onstott shows step-by-step how to build a tiny house, including every virtual stud, sheet of plywood, and appliance going into the project. Along the way, he explores SketchUp features such as components, groups, layers, and textures. By building a house in SketchUp in this detailed manner, you can work out any unforeseen spatial conflicts in the design and virtually eliminate construction problems before you are in the field.
- Importing the house plan
- Framing the structure
- Laying studs and framing walls
- Adding plywood sheathing
- Paneling the roof
- Adding trim, windows, and siding
- Adding interior plywood
- Modeling windows and frames
- Designing the bed, cabinets, counters, and shower
- Adding furniture
- Modeling the trailer
- Animating the tiny house design
Skill Level Intermediate
SketchUp 2015 Essential Trainingwith George Maestri2h 54m Appropriate for all
SketchUp for Architecture: Fundamentalswith Paul J. Smith4h 49m Intermediate
SketchUp for Architecture: LayOutwith Paul J. Smith6h 17m Intermediate
1. Getting Started
2. Framing the Structure
3. Sheathing the Exterior
4. Applying Exterior Trim, Windows, and Siding
5. Working on the Interior
6. Designing the Slide Out
7. Integrating Built-in Features
8. Adding Furniture
9. Modeling the Trailer and Animating the Tiny House
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.