Join Scott Onstott for an in-depth discussion in this video Designing a rafter, part of Designing a Tiny House with SketchUp.
- In this video, we'll focus on building…a rafter that slopes up, across this end wall.…So, zoom in here.…Press L for line, and draw a line starting right here,…over in the red direction.…Overshoot the building…by some arbitrary distance, like that.…Then press the spacebar and select…the line that you just drew.…Zoom in, press Q for rotate,…position the cursor right here,…so that the helper is green.…
Click to specify the center of a rotation.…Click again on the edge to start rotating,…and then type in two-colon-12.…What that means is that the line will slope up two inches…for every 12 inches it runs horizontally.…There's our roof slope.…Now, if you think about it, this roof slope is going…to cut through this element, isn't it?…It's going to keep coming down here,…unless we're going to have some weird bump in the roof,…which we're not.…
So, what we need to do next is cut a little…triangle out of this element.…To do that, we're going to draw another line…from this point, and I'm going to move…the cursor along the line, then hold down the Shift key.…
In this course, author Scott Onstott shows step-by-step how to build a tiny house, including every virtual stud, sheet of plywood, and appliance going into the project. Along the way, he explores SketchUp features such as components, groups, layers, and textures. By building a house in SketchUp in this detailed manner, you can work out any unforeseen spatial conflicts in the design and virtually eliminate construction problems before you are in the field.
- Importing the house plan
- Framing the structure
- Laying studs and framing walls
- Adding plywood sheathing
- Paneling the roof
- Adding trim, windows, and siding
- Adding interior plywood
- Modeling windows and frames
- Designing the bed, cabinets, counters, and shower
- Adding furniture
- Modeling the trailer
- Animating the tiny house design
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Getting Started
2. Framing the Structure
3. Sheathing the Exterior
4. Applying Exterior Trim, Windows, and Siding
5. Working on the Interior
6. Designing the Slide Out
7. Integrating Built-in Features
8. Adding Furniture
9. Modeling the Trailer and Animating the Tiny House
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.