Join Scott Onstott for an in-depth discussion in this video Designing the bed and rolling platform, part of Designing a Tiny House with SketchUp.
- In this video we're going to design the…rolling bed platform inside the building.…So to see in there we need to turn on the section plane.…Go to Window, Styles,…and turn on the Section Cuts…and the Section Planes.…Select the Section Plane and go ahead and…rotate it by pressing Q.…Click on the side of the building…so that you can rotate in the red direction,…and rotate it 90 degrees.…You might also need to move the section plane…so that it's about right here.…
Let's turn off the display of the section plane…and close the Styles window.…So there's a bed here that is on a platform,…and the platform can be pulled out.…The platform is on tiny wheels.…Let's create a new layer called Sliding Bed…and set that layer current.…There's already a layer in here called Bed,…and that's from the CAD data,…so make sure that Sliding Bed is the current layer…and then let's go ahead and model the platform.…
Click the Rectangle tool…and start drawing right here…and then come over to the other side…and complete the rectangle right here.…
In this course, author Scott Onstott shows step-by-step how to build a tiny house, including every virtual stud, sheet of plywood, and appliance going into the project. Along the way, he explores SketchUp features such as components, groups, layers, and textures. By building a house in SketchUp in this detailed manner, you can work out any unforeseen spatial conflicts in the design and virtually eliminate construction problems before you are in the field.
- Importing the house plan
- Framing the structure
- Laying studs and framing walls
- Adding plywood sheathing
- Paneling the roof
- Adding trim, windows, and siding
- Adding interior plywood
- Modeling windows and frames
- Designing the bed, cabinets, counters, and shower
- Adding furniture
- Modeling the trailer
- Animating the tiny house design
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Getting Started
2. Framing the Structure
3. Sheathing the Exterior
4. Applying Exterior Trim, Windows, and Siding
5. Working on the Interior
6. Designing the Slide Out
7. Integrating Built-in Features
8. Adding Furniture
9. Modeling the Trailer and Animating the Tiny House
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.