Join Scott Onstott for an in-depth discussion in this video Creating the remaining studs, part of Designing a Tiny House with SketchUp.
- Let's continue laying out studs…around the rest of the building.…I'll zoom in down here, select this stud,…and use the rotate tool.…The shortcut is Q, by the way.…The rotate tool will change color…depending upon the orientation…of the surface that you're over.…The blue direction is the direction…that's coincident with the ground plane.…And you have a red direction and a green direction.…In this case, we want to make sure…that we rotate the stud in the blue direction,…so I'm going to move the cursor over here…to some place off to the side,…and I'll hold down the shift key.…
That will lock it so that no matter…where I move it now, it stays…in the blue orientation.…Now I'm going to click right here…as the center point of the rotation.…Now I can let go of shift.…I'll click over here as the origin of the rotation,…and then as you can see, I'm rotating the stud.…But I don't want to get rid of the original one.…I want to make a copy, and you can see right here…it says Option = toggle Copy.…I'll press and release the option key…
In this course, author Scott Onstott shows step-by-step how to build a tiny house, including every virtual stud, sheet of plywood, and appliance going into the project. Along the way, he explores SketchUp features such as components, groups, layers, and textures. By building a house in SketchUp in this detailed manner, you can work out any unforeseen spatial conflicts in the design and virtually eliminate construction problems before you are in the field.
- Importing the house plan
- Framing the structure
- Laying studs and framing walls
- Adding plywood sheathing
- Paneling the roof
- Adding trim, windows, and siding
- Adding interior plywood
- Modeling windows and frames
- Designing the bed, cabinets, counters, and shower
- Adding furniture
- Modeling the trailer
- Animating the tiny house design
Skill Level Intermediate
SketchUp 2015 Essential Trainingwith George Maestri2h 54m Appropriate for all
SketchUp for Architecture: LayOutwith Paul J. Smith6h 17m Intermediate
1. Getting Started
2. Framing the Structure
3. Sheathing the Exterior
4. Applying Exterior Trim, Windows, and Siding
5. Working on the Interior
6. Designing the Slide Out
7. Integrating Built-in Features
8. Adding Furniture
9. Modeling the Trailer and Animating the Tiny House
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.