Join Scott Onstott for an in-depth discussion in this video Creating the metal frame for slide-out and trim plywood, part of Designing a Tiny House with SketchUp.
- In this video, we will build the metal profile…that the slideout rides on or in.…So let's zoom in here.…You'll see there's a sketch on the floor plan…of this metal profile that goes around the corner here,…and then it actually goes over here, too.…So, what I want to do is pull the plywood back…to expose that area.…Double-click, press "P," and pull it back.…Now, I'm going to trace over this sketch by drawing lines.…
I'm just going to work my way around.…(click)…(click)…And when you get back to the place where you started,…a face will get created.…Now we need to draw a line representing the path.…So, I'm going to start here in the corner. Go up.…This one's going to go all the way up here.…And then, it's going to go over…to the other side of the beam...…and then down to the bottom.…There. Now, I'm going to press the space bar…to go to the select tool, and click on…each one of these three lines.…
I need to hold down the shift key…so I can have them all selected at the same time.…So that's the path. It's all selected.…
In this course, author Scott Onstott shows step-by-step how to build a tiny house, including every virtual stud, sheet of plywood, and appliance going into the project. Along the way, he explores SketchUp features such as components, groups, layers, and textures. By building a house in SketchUp in this detailed manner, you can work out any unforeseen spatial conflicts in the design and virtually eliminate construction problems before you are in the field.
- Importing the house plan
- Framing the structure
- Laying studs and framing walls
- Adding plywood sheathing
- Paneling the roof
- Adding trim, windows, and siding
- Adding interior plywood
- Modeling windows and frames
- Designing the bed, cabinets, counters, and shower
- Adding furniture
- Modeling the trailer
- Animating the tiny house design
Skill Level Intermediate
SketchUp 2015 Essential Trainingwith George Maestri2h 54m Appropriate for all
SketchUp for Architecture: LayOutwith Paul J. Smith6h 17m Intermediate
1. Getting Started
2. Framing the Structure
3. Sheathing the Exterior
4. Applying Exterior Trim, Windows, and Siding
5. Working on the Interior
6. Designing the Slide Out
7. Integrating Built-in Features
8. Adding Furniture
9. Modeling the Trailer and Animating the Tiny House
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.