Join Paul J. Smith for an in-depth discussion in this video Creating the brick and block components, part of SketchUp for Architecture: Details.
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
- So let's have a little review of what…we're about to creative.…We're going to create a brick…and we're going to create a block or a CMU.…Now using the measuring tool,…the block is going to be 215 high…and it's going to be 140 deep…and it's going to be 440 wide.…The brick is going to be…102.5 deep.…It's going to be 65 mil high…and it's going to be 215 mil wide.…Okay, so we'll create these on layer zero…because that helps with the component creation.…
And if I just flick over to my chapter 202…sort of blank template.…Then with the rectangle tool, select it.…I'll just click at the origin point.…It doesn't matter if you click outside of the origin point,…it's going to be on the sort of ground plane.…And along the red axis first,…we're looking at 440 and then comma…140 enter.…And zoom in on that.…And then with the push pull tool…we'll go up to a height of 215…and enter.…
Then either marquee select or triple click…to select entirety of the faces,…right click or hit G on the keyboard,…that's another option…and make component.…
AuthorPaul J. Smith
This installment concentrates on organizing the details in your scenes with the Outliner and Layers panels. As the course shows, well-built and organized SketchUp components allow architects to have greater flexibility at every stage of the design process.
- Creating the brick and block components
- Building walls
- Laying courses of bricks and blocks
- Trenching and backfilling
- Creating the brick halves
- Adding mortar fill and insulation to the cavity
- Creating windows with casements, sills, and jambs
- Organizing the model
- Adding materials
- Exporting the SketchUp model
- Working in LayOut
Skill Level Intermediate
SketchUp Pro: Tools and Techniques (2010)with George Maestri2h 25m Intermediate
SketchUp 2013 Essential Trainingwith George Maestri2h 16m Beginner
SketchUp for Architecture: Fundamentalswith Paul J. Smith4h 49m Intermediate
1. Building Up to the Floor Slab
2. Completing the Wall
3. Making the Window
4. Organize the Completed Model
6. Export and LayOut
Next steps2m 10s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.