This video shows how to create new materials within SketchUp. George takes a simple scene and creates a material from scratch that contains color. George then imports a bitmap texture, sizes it to match the scene, then edits the resulting material. Creating materials in SketchUp happens in the Materials window.
- [Instructor] SketchUp has a lot of very nice…built-in materials but there will be times…when you'll have to create your own materials from scratch.…So let's take a look at how to do that.…Here I have a simple scene with a table.…So let's make some materials for that.…You'll notice that in the Materials window,…we have no materials in the scene.…So let's create some from scratch.…We do that with the Create Material button…in the Materials window.…You'll find it here.…
It's just a little cube and when you hover over it,…it says Create Material.…When I press this, it brings up the Create Material window,…and this looks awfully familiar.…That's because it's almost identical…to the Edit Materials window.…So let's just dial in the values that we want.…For this one, let's go ahead and do the table legs.…So up here, we can give it a name,…so I'm going to call this material Table Legs,…and then let's go ahead and pick a color.…
I'm going to pick a kind of a slightly medium gray…and click OK.…And when we do, we get a material in our Materials window…
- Navigating the interface for Mac and Windows
- Configuring toolbars and tray windows
- Selecting and moving objects
- Drawing lines and shapes
- Creating 3D text
- Measuring and labeling objects
- Using organizational tools
- Working with components
- Creating and applying materials
- Animating and rendering your drawings
Skill Level Beginner
1. The SketchUp Interface
2. Manipulate Objects
3. Draw in SketchUp
4. Measure and Label
5. Stay Organized
6. Work with Components
7. Materials and Textures in Windows
8. Materials and Textures on the Mac
9. Rendering and Animation
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.