Join George Maestri for an in-depth discussion in this video Create cutaways using section planes, part of SketchUp 2016 Essential Training.
- If you want to reveal more information about your drawing,…you may want to create a section, which is…basically a cutaway view of the drawing.…Now, we can create these using section planes.…We find these under Tools, Section Plane.…And this is a very easy tool to use.…You basically just hover over a face…in your drawing,…and then left-click to snap.…So I'm going to snap this to the roof of the drawing.…As soon as I do, notice how it creates…this cutaway view.…
Now, this section plane here can be manipulated.…All you have to do is marquee select it,…and then use the move tool…to slide it up or down.…If you slide it down far enough, you can see…how it creates what amounts to…a floorplan of the building.…Now, if I go into my Top view here…and turn on Parallel Projection, you can see…how this makes a very nice floorplan.…
So I'm going to go ahead and rotate out of this…and turn on Perspective again.…Now, section views can be moved wherever you want,…or, if you select them, you can also hit the Delete key…to get rid of them.…
These tutorials work with both SketchUp Make, the free version of the program, and SketchUp Pro.
- Navigating SketchUp
- Creating camera views
- Configuring the toolbars on Mac and Windows
- Selecting, moving, and scaling objects
- Using the line tools for 3D drawing
- Creating rectangles, outlines, circles, and freehand shapes
- Creating 3D text
- Using the measurement and labeling tools
- Organizing drawings with groups and layers
- Creating components and using components from the 3D Warehouse
- Creating and applying materials
- Working with textures
- Rendering and animating drawings
Skill Level Appropriate for all
SketchUp Pro: Tools and Techniqueswith George Maestri3h 1m Intermediate
SketchUp for Architecture: LayOutwith Paul J. Smith6h 17m Intermediate
1. The SketchUp Interface
2. Manipulate Objects
3. Drawing in SketchUp
4. Measure and Label
5. Stay Organized
6. Work with Components
7. Work with Materials
8. Materials on the Mac
9. Work with Textures
10. Rendering and Animation
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.