Join George Maestri for an in-depth discussion in this video Create 3D text, part of SketchUp 2016 Essential Training.
- And finally, we have another way…to create objects in SketchUp,…and that's by creating 3D text.…Now if you look at the Tools menu,…we have three options here:…Dimensions, Text, and 3D Text.…Now all of these can create text of some sort,…but the first two, Dimensions and Text,…are for annotations,…so they're for dimensioning your drawings,…as well as adding labels and notes to your drawings.…The last one actually creates geometry,…and that's called 3D Text.…
Now when I pull that up, it actually has a box…where we can type text,…and then we also have a choice for font.…We also have options for italic and bold, alignment,…and then do we want this to be filled or extruded,…as well as the size of the actual object…that we're creating.…So if I just leave this pretty much at the default,…you can see how it will create an extruded text.…
Now let's say we wanted to add a label to our trailer.…Well, I go into 3D Text.…Let's go ahead and give our trailer a name,…so we can type in the text.…We can create that text in any sort of font,…
These tutorials work with both SketchUp Make, the free version of the program, and SketchUp Pro.
- Navigating SketchUp
- Creating camera views
- Configuring the toolbars on Mac and Windows
- Selecting, moving, and scaling objects
- Using the line tools for 3D drawing
- Creating rectangles, outlines, circles, and freehand shapes
- Creating 3D text
- Using the measurement and labeling tools
- Organizing drawings with groups and layers
- Creating components and using components from the 3D Warehouse
- Creating and applying materials
- Working with textures
- Rendering and animating drawings
Skill Level Appropriate for all
SketchUp Pro: Tools and Techniqueswith George Maestri3h 1m Intermediate
SketchUp for Architecture: Fundamentalswith Paul J. Smith4h 49m Intermediate
SketchUp for Architecture: LayOutwith Paul J. Smith6h 17m Intermediate
1. The SketchUp Interface
2. Manipulate Objects
3. Drawing in SketchUp
4. Measure and Label
5. Stay Organized
6. Work with Components
7. Work with Materials
8. Materials on the Mac
9. Work with Textures
10. Rendering and Animation
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.