Join Paul J. Smith for an in-depth discussion in this video Building up to the damp-proof course (DPC), part of SketchUp for Architecture: Details.
- So we're starting to add…the extra course of blocks…and the extra five courses of bricks.…Now I'll leave the bricks until last…because they're much easier to do,…and the reason they're much easier to do…is the size of the brick.…The length of a brick is twice the width, plus a joint.…So that distance plus a joint,…plus that distance again equals this.…So it means that they stack very nicely…in stretcher bond.…However, the blocks are slightly different…in so much as they all have varying widths,…and they don't always tie in properly,…and to get the maximum amount of strength…in our blocks, in the bond,…we want to make sure that we stagger them…so they're sitting half-on this gap.…
So we do that first,…so I'll just come around to this side.…And I'll copy a block in this orientation…and a block in this orientation,…so I might as well select them both,…using the Control key on the Windows machine…Move tool.…Again, press the Control key on the Windows machine…and the Alt key on the Mac,…and we'll be able to create a copy.…
AuthorPaul J. Smith
This installment concentrates on organizing the details in your scenes with the Outliner and Layers panels. As the course shows, well-built and organized SketchUp components allow architects to have greater flexibility at every stage of the design process.
- Creating the brick and block components
- Building walls
- Laying courses of bricks and blocks
- Trenching and backfilling
- Creating the brick halves
- Adding mortar fill and insulation to the cavity
- Creating windows with casements, sills, and jambs
- Organizing the model
- Adding materials
- Exporting the SketchUp model
- Working in LayOut
Skill Level Intermediate
SketchUp Pro: Tools and Techniques (2010)with George Maestri2h 25m Intermediate
SketchUp 2013 Essential Trainingwith George Maestri2h 16m Beginner
SketchUp for Architecture: Fundamentalswith Paul J. Smith4h 49m Intermediate
1. Building Up to the Floor Slab
2. Completing the Wall
3. Making the Window
4. Organize the Completed Model
6. Export and LayOut
Next steps2m 10s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.