Join Scott Onstott for an in-depth discussion in this video Building the top plate on the long wall, part of Designing a Tiny House with SketchUp.
- Our next task is to build a top plate on the long wall.…Orbit around and zoom in.…Use the rectangle tool and draw a rectangle…from this corner all the way over to the other side.…Click right here.…However, this top plate needs to also…go over this other stud.…Press the space bar, select this single edge,…press M for move, and click here and here.…Then, press P, click on the face, move the cursor upward,…and type 1.5 enter, press the space bar to select,…triple click to select everything, and then press G…to make a group, press B for bucket,…and then click on the group to color it.…
I'll orbit around.…There's the top plate.…We also want to have another stud on top of that…that's rotated 90 degrees.…Press Q for rotate.…Position the cursor over here, such that it turns green.…It's the same point and it really is very subtle…because if I move the cursor a little bit over to the right,…it turns green, if I move it up here, it turns blue.…Over here, it turns red.…The direction I want is green in this case.…
I'm going to click here, click on the end,…
In this course, author Scott Onstott shows step-by-step how to build a tiny house, including every virtual stud, sheet of plywood, and appliance going into the project. Along the way, he explores SketchUp features such as components, groups, layers, and textures. By building a house in SketchUp in this detailed manner, you can work out any unforeseen spatial conflicts in the design and virtually eliminate construction problems before you are in the field.
- Importing the house plan
- Framing the structure
- Laying studs and framing walls
- Adding plywood sheathing
- Paneling the roof
- Adding trim, windows, and siding
- Adding interior plywood
- Modeling windows and frames
- Designing the bed, cabinets, counters, and shower
- Adding furniture
- Modeling the trailer
- Animating the tiny house design
Skill Level Intermediate
SketchUp 2015 Essential Trainingwith George Maestri2h 54m Appropriate for all
SketchUp for Architecture: Fundamentalswith Paul J. Smith4h 49m Intermediate
SketchUp for Architecture: LayOutwith Paul J. Smith6h 17m Intermediate
1. Getting Started
2. Framing the Structure
3. Sheathing the Exterior
4. Applying Exterior Trim, Windows, and Siding
5. Working on the Interior
6. Designing the Slide Out
7. Integrating Built-in Features
8. Adding Furniture
9. Modeling the Trailer and Animating the Tiny House
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.