Join Scott Onstott for an in-depth discussion in this video Building a platform floor above the bed, part of Designing a Tiny House with SketchUp.
- [Voiceover] If you notice over here,…in the corner, there's a circle,…and this represents a water heater.…And let's just go ahead and…proximate that with our own circle.…I'll draw a line across the circle…in the red direction.…That will give me the center.…Then I can press c, and hopefully…snap-to the intersection there.…And draw a circle.…And you know what?…I didn't get it perfectly accurate there,…as you can see.…But this is going to be fine for our purposes.…I'll click there.…Notice how our circle appears…to be faceted.…
And that has to do with the number…of segments in it.…And you can control that…immediately after you draw the circle.…Like right now.…I can type in 8 s Enter.…That means eight segments.…I could type in 16 s Enter,…Or 64 s Enter.…And the circle gets smoother…the more segments that you have.…I'll press p and pull that up.…Let's pull it up, let's say,…16 inches high.…
And I'll triple click on that…and group it.…And that will be our place holder…for some kind of water heater or…mechanical equipment that will go in this,…
In this course, author Scott Onstott shows step-by-step how to build a tiny house, including every virtual stud, sheet of plywood, and appliance going into the project. Along the way, he explores SketchUp features such as components, groups, layers, and textures. By building a house in SketchUp in this detailed manner, you can work out any unforeseen spatial conflicts in the design and virtually eliminate construction problems before you are in the field.
- Importing the house plan
- Framing the structure
- Laying studs and framing walls
- Adding plywood sheathing
- Paneling the roof
- Adding trim, windows, and siding
- Adding interior plywood
- Modeling windows and frames
- Designing the bed, cabinets, counters, and shower
- Adding furniture
- Modeling the trailer
- Animating the tiny house design
Skill Level Intermediate
SketchUp 2015 Essential Trainingwith George Maestri2h 54m Appropriate for all
SketchUp for Architecture: LayOutwith Paul J. Smith6h 17m Intermediate
1. Getting Started
2. Framing the Structure
3. Sheathing the Exterior
4. Applying Exterior Trim, Windows, and Siding
5. Working on the Interior
6. Designing the Slide Out
7. Integrating Built-in Features
8. Adding Furniture
9. Modeling the Trailer and Animating the Tiny House
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.