Join Scott Onstott for an in-depth discussion in this video Building a fold-down table and custom support, part of Designing a Tiny House with SketchUp.
- In this video, we're going to design…the folding table here,…and you can see part of it's CAD information here,…on the ground.…Now I notice that when we brought in the chair…in the previous video,…it brought in a bunch of extra layers,…and this is typical of bringing in information…from the outside world.…You never know how people are modeling things.…So what I'm going to do is making a new layer called Chair…and set it current.…Then I'll shift select all of those A_FURN layers…and delete them,…and I'll move the contents of those layers to the current…layer, namely, layer Chair.…
So now they're all gone.…Chair remains.…Now, let's make a new layer…called Table…and set that layer current,…and just to be sure,…let's go up here and toggle off the Chair…and make sure it indeed turns off just the task chair…and it does.…So we're good to go.…Now let's work on the table.…I like to see the whole sketch,…so let's turn off the Slideout layers,…and the table is in two parts.…
There's the big part and the smaller part.…Let's draw a rectangle here,…
In this course, author Scott Onstott shows step-by-step how to build a tiny house, including every virtual stud, sheet of plywood, and appliance going into the project. Along the way, he explores SketchUp features such as components, groups, layers, and textures. By building a house in SketchUp in this detailed manner, you can work out any unforeseen spatial conflicts in the design and virtually eliminate construction problems before you are in the field.
- Importing the house plan
- Framing the structure
- Laying studs and framing walls
- Adding plywood sheathing
- Paneling the roof
- Adding trim, windows, and siding
- Adding interior plywood
- Modeling windows and frames
- Designing the bed, cabinets, counters, and shower
- Adding furniture
- Modeling the trailer
- Animating the tiny house design
Skill Level Intermediate
SketchUp 2015 Essential Trainingwith George Maestri2h 54m Appropriate for all
SketchUp for Architecture: LayOutwith Paul J. Smith6h 17m Intermediate
1. Getting Started
2. Framing the Structure
3. Sheathing the Exterior
4. Applying Exterior Trim, Windows, and Siding
5. Working on the Interior
6. Designing the Slide Out
7. Integrating Built-in Features
8. Adding Furniture
9. Modeling the Trailer and Animating the Tiny House
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.