Join Scott Onstott for an in-depth discussion in this video Applying roofing, part of Designing a Tiny House with SketchUp.
- Our next task is to apply the roofing,…and it will be done in…a similar way to the siding,…but there are important differences.…Because the roofing is on an angle,…it's not going to be very effective…to try to draw a rectangle there,…because the rectangle wants to be…in the flat, red green plane.…So you're going to get better success…if you use the Line tool.…So let's start drawing the perimeter of this roof…from this point, right here.…And we'll work our way around.…I'll click right there.…
And then I'll zoom out…and navigate to the other side.…Click there.…And work your way around.…Click there.…You have to go back to the point where you started,…so that SketchUp will make a face.…There, it worked.…So press P, pull the face up half an inch.…And now I want to select that whole thing,…and watch what happens if I try to do that.…
Oh, it worked.…Sometimes it will select the sheathing beneath it.…If that happens to you,…just toggle off the Exterior Sheathing layer…temporarily while you select this.…Okay, press G, and then press B for bucket,…
In this course, author Scott Onstott shows step-by-step how to build a tiny house, including every virtual stud, sheet of plywood, and appliance going into the project. Along the way, he explores SketchUp features such as components, groups, layers, and textures. By building a house in SketchUp in this detailed manner, you can work out any unforeseen spatial conflicts in the design and virtually eliminate construction problems before you are in the field.
- Importing the house plan
- Framing the structure
- Laying studs and framing walls
- Adding plywood sheathing
- Paneling the roof
- Adding trim, windows, and siding
- Adding interior plywood
- Modeling windows and frames
- Designing the bed, cabinets, counters, and shower
- Adding furniture
- Modeling the trailer
- Animating the tiny house design
Skill Level Intermediate
SketchUp 2015 Essential Trainingwith George Maestri2h 54m Appropriate for all
SketchUp for Architecture: LayOutwith Paul J. Smith6h 17m Intermediate
1. Getting Started
2. Framing the Structure
3. Sheathing the Exterior
4. Applying Exterior Trim, Windows, and Siding
5. Working on the Interior
6. Designing the Slide Out
7. Integrating Built-in Features
8. Adding Furniture
9. Modeling the Trailer and Animating the Tiny House
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.