Join Scott Onstott for an in-depth discussion in this video Applying metal siding, part of Designing a Tiny House with SketchUp.
- Let's begin applying metal siding to the exterior.…Let's begin on this surface.…Type L for line, and sketch in the profile of this wall,…and we're going to click the interior edges of the trim.…We're going to work our way around.…And, back to where we started,…and if everything is in the same plane,…SketchUp will make a face,…and that worked well.…
Now I need to make a rectangle on the inside of that frame,…that is the outer edge, but the inside, like that.…And then over here we need to snap it right there.…And press the space bar, click the window, and press delete.…Then press P and pull this out.…Let's pull it out a half an inch.…Triple click.…You've got to be careful…because you can select something else.…So, I'm going to open up the Layers…and turn off the exterior sheathing,…and then triple click.…
That makes it easier for me to select it.…I'll press G.…And, now that I'm in the Layers,…I realize I should make a new layer…called ExteriorSiding,…and let's make that current.…Ok, now we need a material for that.…
In this course, author Scott Onstott shows step-by-step how to build a tiny house, including every virtual stud, sheet of plywood, and appliance going into the project. Along the way, he explores SketchUp features such as components, groups, layers, and textures. By building a house in SketchUp in this detailed manner, you can work out any unforeseen spatial conflicts in the design and virtually eliminate construction problems before you are in the field.
- Importing the house plan
- Framing the structure
- Laying studs and framing walls
- Adding plywood sheathing
- Paneling the roof
- Adding trim, windows, and siding
- Adding interior plywood
- Modeling windows and frames
- Designing the bed, cabinets, counters, and shower
- Adding furniture
- Modeling the trailer
- Animating the tiny house design
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Getting Started
2. Framing the Structure
3. Sheathing the Exterior
4. Applying Exterior Trim, Windows, and Siding
5. Working on the Interior
6. Designing the Slide Out
7. Integrating Built-in Features
8. Adding Furniture
9. Modeling the Trailer and Animating the Tiny House
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.