Materials in SketchUp add color, texture, and opacity to 3D objects. In this video, George shows the basics of applying color and texture to a 3D scene using the Materials window. George demonstrates how to pick and apply materials from the interface, as well as how to navigate the materials libraries provided with SketchUp.
- [Instructor] Now let's add color and texture…to our objects.…In SketchUp, we work with color and texture…by using the Materials window.…Now this is different between Windows and the Macintosh,…so I'm going to go through the Windows toolkit first,…and then in the next chapter we'll go over Macintosh.…So Windows users stay right here.…If you're a Macintosh user, feel free to skip ahead…to the next chapter.…
Okay, so now in SketchUp for Windows,…we can find the Materials Editor…under the default tray, we should have Materials.…Now I already have this up,…and we can pin the tray to make sure it stays put.…Now in this model I have no materials applied,…so this window looks very similar…to the Components window,…and we have two tabs here.…We have Select which allows you to select the material,…and Edit which allows you to edit existing materials.…
Now I don't have any materials in the scene,…so I have to use one of the default materials…that we have available to SketchUp.…So as you can see these come in a number…of different categories.…
- Navigating the interface for Mac and Windows
- Configuring toolbars and tray windows
- Selecting and moving objects
- Drawing lines and shapes
- Creating 3D text
- Measuring and labeling objects
- Using organizational tools
- Working with components
- Creating and applying materials
- Animating and rendering your drawings
Skill Level Beginner
1. The SketchUp Interface
2. Manipulate Objects
3. Draw in SketchUp
4. Measure and Label
5. Stay Organized
6. Work with Components
7. Materials and Textures in Windows
8. Materials and Textures on the Mac
9. Rendering and Animation
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.