Join Scott Onstott for an in-depth discussion in this video Animating the design, part of Designing a Tiny House with SketchUp.
- I mentioned in an earlier video…that I would show you how to convert units.…And to do that, let's go in here…and measure the distance across this door opening.…I'll press T, and let's just see that that's two foot three.…That's a reasonable size for a door.…And that highlights the fact that we actually need a door,…so let me just draw in a rectangle here…to represent that door.…And I will press P and push it back 1.5 inches,…triple click, group, and assign a material to that.…
Okay, now what if we wanted to convert…the entire model to centimeters?…Well fortunately, that's very easy.…Just go up to the Window menu…and choose Model Info.…Go to the Units page and just…change the Format to Decimal.…Choose Centimeters, and you can set…the precision that you want to have.…I'll just go to the nearest centimeter…and say okay, and come down here,…and let's measure that again with the tape.…So now this is 69 centimeters.…
That's great, it's a good, valid measurement.…That's all you have to do…to convert units in SketchUp.…
In this course, author Scott Onstott shows step-by-step how to build a tiny house, including every virtual stud, sheet of plywood, and appliance going into the project. Along the way, he explores SketchUp features such as components, groups, layers, and textures. By building a house in SketchUp in this detailed manner, you can work out any unforeseen spatial conflicts in the design and virtually eliminate construction problems before you are in the field.
- Importing the house plan
- Framing the structure
- Laying studs and framing walls
- Adding plywood sheathing
- Paneling the roof
- Adding trim, windows, and siding
- Adding interior plywood
- Modeling windows and frames
- Designing the bed, cabinets, counters, and shower
- Adding furniture
- Modeling the trailer
- Animating the tiny house design
Skill Level Intermediate
SketchUp 2015 Essential Trainingwith George Maestri2h 54m Appropriate for all
SketchUp for Architecture: Fundamentalswith Paul J. Smith4h 49m Intermediate
SketchUp for Architecture: LayOutwith Paul J. Smith6h 17m Intermediate
1. Getting Started
2. Framing the Structure
3. Sheathing the Exterior
4. Applying Exterior Trim, Windows, and Siding
5. Working on the Interior
6. Designing the Slide Out
7. Integrating Built-in Features
8. Adding Furniture
9. Modeling the Trailer and Animating the Tiny House
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.