Join Paul J. Smith for an in-depth discussion in this video Adding the perpendicular mortar, part of SketchUp for Architecture: Details.
- In the final video of this chapter,…we are going to create the perpendicular joint…for the blockwork, and then I'm going to leave you…to use a similar technique to finish off the brickwork.…It's a very similar process to the one that we did…in the first series, where we added…the architrave to the door, where we nest…one component inside another using the outline.…Now, in this case, we're going to create…a piece of mortar, ours is going to be 10 mil thick,…and it's going to be, sort of, the size of the block edge.…
And then we're going to position it…at this position, relative to this block.…And then, when we've got all that set up,…we'll then copy the mortar component…into the brick that we've identified.…Now, in this case and in my case,…it might be different in your case,…but this block, here at the bottom,…140 block, is this one here.…Now, I would choose one that's…easy to identify in the stack.…So the top one, possibly, is easy to identify,…certainly in the stack, but not necessarily…as easy to work on in the model.…
AuthorPaul J. Smith
This installment concentrates on organizing the details in your scenes with the Outliner and Layers panels. As the course shows, well-built and organized SketchUp components allow architects to have greater flexibility at every stage of the design process.
- Creating the brick and block components
- Building walls
- Laying courses of bricks and blocks
- Trenching and backfilling
- Creating the brick halves
- Adding mortar fill and insulation to the cavity
- Creating windows with casements, sills, and jambs
- Organizing the model
- Adding materials
- Exporting the SketchUp model
- Working in LayOut
Skill Level Intermediate
SketchUp Pro: Tools and Techniques (2010)with George Maestri2h 25m Intermediate
SketchUp 2013 Essential Trainingwith George Maestri2h 16m Beginner
SketchUp for Architecture: Fundamentalswith Paul J. Smith4h 49m Intermediate
1. Building Up to the Floor Slab
2. Completing the Wall
3. Making the Window
4. Organize the Completed Model
6. Export and LayOut
Next steps2m 10s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.