Explore the differences and similarities between iOS and Android and how they impact user experience design. Explore the application components, interactions, UI controls, and visual design standards for iOS and Android.
- [Renata] When you start designing for mobile it can feel overwhelming to be thinking about the differences between material design and iOS. All it takes is to break down the differences between the two platforms to get you off to a solid start. Hi, my name is Renata Phillippi and I am a user experience designer who's been designing for mobile for several years. When I started designing for mobile, I found there were not very many resources to help me understand the differences between the two platforms. In this course we'll dive into application architecture and usability such as app layout, gestures and adaptive views from an iOS and Android perspective, look at the application components and interactions including fields, patterns, notifications and UI controls.
We'll talk about the visual design and how it relates to icons, topography, color and imagery. We'll look at piecing all of this information together into a final product. I'll give you some important resources that you should check out and much more. Ultimately my goal is to help you gain an understanding of the differences between designing for iOS and Android devices as well the key components for designing for the different platforms, so let's get started.
- Understanding gestures
- Laying out your apps
- Using adaptive views
- Adding animation and interactions
- Setting up notifications
- Understanding differences in the visual design: typography, color, and more
- Accommodating keyboard differences
- Building a complete cross-platform app