Sketch makes it easy to override text or image layers in a Symbol. In this video, learn how to set up symbols so the overrides are easy to use, and how to prevent certain layers from appearing in the overrides list.
- [Narrator] When we first create a symbol.…All the copies of that symbol…will start off looking exactly the same.…Right now, all our tiles…have the same text for our recipe name…and the same star rating.…But in our final design, this isn't what we would want.…We would really want all these…to look like different recipes.…Fortunately, Sketch gives us an easy way…to override text and image layers in our symbols.…So let's see how that works.…We can command click to select our middle tile here…and then over in the inspector panel,…we have an override section.…
Sketch automatically creates overrides for…any text or images layers we have in our symbol.…So here we have one for the number of reviews…and one for our recipe title.…When we type new text into the box,…then the text layers in our symbol will change…but only for that one instance.…Sketch also sets up overrides for any texts styles…that we're using in our symbol.…So, we can override that if we want to as well.…
Now these labels that we're seeing here…are coming from the names of our layers in our symbol.…
- Navigating the canvas
- Creating wireframes
- Working with shapes, text, images, and masks
- Managing layers
- Creating and nesting symbols
- Using the Vector tool
- Extending Sketch with design plugins
- Creating, sharing, and managing libraries
- Collaborating with Sketch Cloud
- Exporting assets
- Creating style guides and design systems
Skill Level Beginner
Creating a Design System with Sketchwith Anne Grundhoefer1h 21m Intermediate
1. Getting Started
Navigating the canvas2m 51s
2. Creating Wireframes
3. Visual Design and Symbols
Creating a library6m 44s
5. Prototyping and Collaboration
6. Exporting and Asset Management
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.