Slices are a special kind of layer that can be used to export different pieces of a design. This video tutorial demonstrates how to use slices to set up exports, how to rename the slices so that the exported files are grouped into folders, and how to use slices to create exports with multiple artboards or annotations.
- [Instructor] We can always export any layer, group,…or artboard in Sketch by selecting it…and then clicking Make Exportable.…But there's another way to export things in Sketch.…And that's to use a slice.…Slices are special layers that we can use…to export any piece of our design.…They can be any size so we can draw them…around a specific part of the canvas that we want to export.…Let's select our Launch artboard…and hit Command + Two to zoom in.…And then draw a slice right around the text inside our logo.…To create our slice, we click on the Insert menu…and click Slice or we can use the keyboard shortcut,…which is the letter S.…
So I'll hit S now and draw a slice…right around the text in the logo.…It doesn't have to be exact.…Now we can see our new slice in the Layers list…and over here, we'll have some export settings…that we can work with.…For this slice, let's use the iOS presets.…Right now we can see…that our slice is still showing that background image.…But if we come down here…and drag our slice into the Logo group,…
- Navigating the canvas
- Creating wireframes
- Working with shapes, text, images, and masks
- Managing layers
- Creating and nesting symbols
- Using the Vector tool
- Extending Sketch with design plugins
- Creating, sharing, and managing libraries
- Collaborating with Sketch Cloud
- Exporting assets
- Creating style guides and design systems
Skill Level Beginner
Creating a Design System with Sketchwith Anne Grundhoefer1h 21m Intermediate
1. Getting Started
Navigating the canvas2m 51s
2. Creating Wireframes
3. Visual Design and Symbols
Creating a library6m 44s
5. Prototyping and Collaboration
6. Exporting and Asset Management
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.