Groups and symbols in Sketch have a few resizing settings that can be used to create more reusable, flexible components. This video demonstrates how to use the resizing settings to fix the width and height of any element in a symbol. Additionally, learn how to pin elements to the edges so that the symbol is more flexible and can be used at different sizes for different designs and devices.
- [Instructor] When we're working with symbols…like our recipe tile,…ideally, we'd like to be able to use them…in a lot of different situations.…We might want to resize one into more of a featured tile,…or we might need to resize it a little bit…to fit in a different screen size.…We might need to do that…if we're designing for multiple devices.…So let's pan over to a blank space in our canvas…and insert a copy of our Recipe Tile symbol…so we can take a look at some of those resizing options.…We'll hit Command + plus to zoom in.…And then let's use the drag handles…to start resizing this tile.…
By default, when we resize symbols and groups,…everything inside will resize proportionately.…And that's working fine for some things in our tile,…but it's not working so well for our ratings down here.…These are getting all stretched out.…So let's go to our Symbols page…and take a look at what we can do with that.…We can click on our Ratings group.…And here we have an option,…over here in this resizing section,…we can fix the size of that rating group.…
- Navigating the canvas
- Creating wireframes
- Working with shapes, text, images, and masks
- Managing layers
- Creating and nesting symbols
- Using the Vector tool
- Extending Sketch with design plugins
- Creating, sharing, and managing libraries
- Collaborating with Sketch Cloud
- Exporting assets
- Creating style guides and design systems
Skill Level Beginner
Creating a Design System with Sketchwith Anne Grundhoefer1h 21m Intermediate
1. Getting Started
Navigating the canvas2m 51s
2. Creating Wireframes
3. Visual Design and Symbols
Creating a library6m 44s
5. Prototyping and Collaboration
6. Exporting and Asset Management
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.