In Sketch, symbols can be nested inside other symbols. For every nested symbol, Sketch sets up a new override in the Inspector panel. Learn how to set up nested symbols in this video, by setting up a star rating system on a mobile app.
- [Instructor] For our recipe tiles,…we've already got overrides for our text layers…and our images, but we don't have any way…to override these star ratings yet.…This is something we can set up with nested symbols.…If we nest a symbol inside another one,…then we'll get an override for it.…We can use this technique to swap out icons…and button states…basically any time we need some variations to select from.…So let's head over to our Symbols page…and set this up for our ratings.…We can start by selecting our Ratings group…and then clicking Create Symbol to turn it into a symbol.…
Now we have a new symbol for our star rating…and it's nested inside our recipe tile.…So if we go back our design,…we can see that that symbol shows up…in our Overrides panel now.…We don't have anything else to select from yet.…We'll need to create some more symbols first.…But before we create those other copies,…let's actually go back to our Symbols page…and turn our stars into their own symbols.…That way we'll have a master for them,…
- Navigating the canvas
- Creating wireframes
- Working with shapes, text, images, and masks
- Managing layers
- Creating and nesting symbols
- Using the Vector tool
- Extending Sketch with design plugins
- Creating, sharing, and managing libraries
- Collaborating with Sketch Cloud
- Exporting assets
- Creating style guides and design systems
Skill Level Beginner
Creating a Design System with Sketchwith Anne Grundhoefer1h 21m Intermediate
1. Getting Started
Navigating the canvas2m 51s
2. Creating Wireframes
3. Visual Design and Symbols
Creating a library6m 44s
5. Prototyping and Collaboration
6. Exporting and Asset Management
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.