When building designs in Sketch it's important to have our layers in order, especially when you're using masks. In this video, we discuss how to use layers and masks.
- [Instructor] In this video, we'll cover layers and masks. Go ahead and open up your exercise file in Sketch and you'll see that there's this imagine inside of it. Now, you'll notice, if you look at the Landon Hotel, that there's this rounded border around our image, but the original image we got from our client is squared off. So, let's go ahead and put a mask around this so that we can go ahead and give it a rounded corner. Go to Insert, Shape, Rounded Rectangle. Create a 300 by 500 rectangle.
Now, again, if you don't exactly get it perfect, we can always come up here and change it. And now we have our rectangle and our image and it should fit perfectly over our image. So, let's go ahead and group those. You can select them both using your mouse and, again, it's command G in order to group. And now if we go into our Group layer here, we can right-click on rectangle, and use as mask.
Now, it doesn't look like anything's happened, right? In Sketch, it's really important to have our layers in the right order in order to utilize masks. So, let's just move that underneath and there you go. Now we have our rounded corners. As an extra benefit, there are some quick command keys that can help you get through your layers. Say you've been moving really fast and you need to, maybe, rename your layers, we can click on our layer, do command R, and rename it to Dining Lattes, or whatever we want to call it, and then if we want to quickly tab through to change things in a group, hit return to get to the next layer, and then you can tab through them in order to change it.
So, we can call this rectangle, for example, Rec Mask. And that's a quick overview of layers and masks. Up next, is your challenge.
- Extending Sketch
- Building a style guide
- Using styles and symbols
- Working with artboards
- Making responsive wireframes
- Using responsive design plugins: Artboard Zoom, Sketch Focus, Craft, and more
- Exporting your design
- Building a mobile app for iOS, Android, or watchOS
- Integrating other tools in your Sketch workflow
Skill Level Intermediate
Q: This course was updated on 05/15/2018. What changed?
A: We updated a new number of videos about third-party resources, such as the Sketch App Sources website and plugins like Marketch and Craft, to reflect the most recent changes to those resources.