Creating a library in Sketch makes it easier to share symbols, text styles, and layer styles across more than one Sketch document. This video discusses how to create a library and how to use layer styles inside symbols to make the library symbols more useful.
- [Instructor] Any Sketch file can be used as a Library.…So to create one, we don't really…need to do anything special.…We can start by creating a new file,…and we can call it something like Basil Design Library.…And then we can start adding our Symbols,…Text Styles and Layer Styles.…One of the first things we can add…to our new Library are some Layer Styles for our colors.…Then we'll be able to use them in our Icons and our Symbols.…So let's start adding some colors.…We can hit R to add a rectangle,…and I'll hold the Shift key to make sure…it's a perfect square and make it 120 by 120 pixels.…
Then let's change the Fill to a green color.…We'll use 078522.…Then we can create a new Layer Style…and call this one Colors/1 Dark Green and hit Enter.…Naming it with the slash like this…will put this Dark Green style in a folder called Colors.…And I'm using the 1 in front of it…just because Sketch always orders symbols…and styles alphabetically.…And I want this one to be first on the list.…Let's also hit T, and we can add…
- Navigating the canvas
- Creating wireframes
- Working with shapes, text, images, and masks
- Managing layers
- Creating and nesting symbols
- Using the Vector tool
- Extending Sketch with design plugins
- Creating, sharing, and managing libraries
- Collaborating with Sketch Cloud
- Exporting assets
- Creating style guides and design systems
Skill Level Beginner
Creating a Design System with Sketchwith Anne Grundhoefer1h 21m Intermediate
1. Getting Started
Navigating the canvas2m 51s
2. Creating Wireframes
3. Visual Design and Symbols
Creating a library6m 44s
5. Prototyping and Collaboration
6. Exporting and Asset Management
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.