In this course, musician Julian Velard demonstrates the many ways to write songs with chords, and how altering those chords can add excitement and depth to your music. Julian shows how to harmonize a melody with chords, form an entire song using chords, and use chord extensions as melody notes to create a more complex melody.
- Hi, I'm Julian Velard. Songwriting is often considered an art born solely of inspiration, and while inspiration is key to any great song, songwriting is very much a craft. Chords are one of the building blocks of a song, and, as songwriters, we can use them to guide the listener in any direction we choose. I'll show you various ways you can use chords to add depth and excitement to your songs. First, I'll show you how a melody can guide your chord choices. (light piano music) Then, I'll show you how chords can change the rhythmic feel of a song.
♫ Tell me where I'm going ♫ I don't have a way of knowing We'll also explore ways you can push past the chords into new harmonies. (dramatic piano music) Finally, I'll show you how you can use chords to transition between sections of a song. ♫ Don't tell me I'm wrong ♫ I'm in love ♫ With you Looking at how chords can enrich and inspire songs is my life's work. Let me show you the techniques I've learned in 20 years of songwriting.
Here we go.
In this course, musician Julian Velard demonstrates the many ways to write songs with chords, and how altering chords can change how a song sounds. He starts by explaining how chords and harmony affect a song's feel and form. Next, he shows how to harmonize a melody with chords, and demonstrates how changing the harmonic rhythm can affect the feel and sound of a song. Julian then illustrates how to form an entire song using chords. Finally, he goes deeper and shows how to use chord extensions as melody notes to create a more complex melody.
- Harmonizing a melody
- Changing the harmonic rhythm
- Treating the melody as a chord extension
- Moving from a verse to a chorus
- Transitioning from a chorus to a bridge