In this video, learn how to find and download Sibelius and Sibelius Sounds installers from an Avid account.
- [Speaker] However you go about purchasing Sibelius, whether it be from https://www.avid.com/ or one of their resellers, at some point you'll be required to create an Avid master account at https://www.avid.com/ from the Avid homepage, click sign in and you'll be directed to a page where you can sign in if you already have an existing Avid account or you can create a new Avid account if you don't already have one. It's best not to have multiple Avid accounts as it can become quite confusing later so be sure to only set yourself up with one. Once you're signed into your Avid account you want to make your way to the My Products and Subscriptions page. Assuming you've completed a proper purchase of Sibelius and done whatever activation is required from your reseller, a purple bar should appear in your My Products and Subscriptions page for the version of Sibelius that you purchased. Click on the name of your Sibelius product to disclose additional information about it, including your assigned System ID and subscription information. Take not of your System ID, perhaps write it down, because you'll need that System ID number later when you're ready to license your copy of Sibelius on your computer. Next you want to click on the blue Show link to further expand the details of your purchase and to access your product downloads for installation. Note that Sibelius Ultimate comes with several downloads, first PhotoScore and NotateMe Lite, PhotoScore is a separate software application that assists you in scanning printed music in the Sibelius format. NotateMe is a music handwriting app for phones and tablets. Both of these are optional downloads and we won't be using them in this course. Next if you purchased Sibelius or Sibelius Ultimate you have a link to download Sibelius Sounds, a sample library that comes with Sibelius. The sound library will be much larger with the Ultimate version and this is a download that will require possibly an hour or more to download and an additional hour or more to install. We'll be using Sibelius Sounds in this course so I encourage you to take the time to download and install it if you can. Below the Sibelius Sounds installer is the Sibelius application installer. This is of course the most important download you'll need as it'll eventually allow you to install the Sibelius application on your computer. The Sibelius application download section provides you with some additional information as well. First the version number of your software which will be in the form of year dot month and sometimes dot version if there's more than one version released in one month. You can see here that mine says 2018.7 which indicates the product released in July of 2018. If your subscription is current as of the time of this video your Sibelius version should be at 2019.7 or later. If you have any of the upgrade plans for Sibelius you can come here to find the latest version and downloadable installers if you need to. Additionally this is where you'll find your Sibelius Activation ID. It's a 16-digit number grouped in fours. You want to keep this number handy, perhaps write it down as well because it's a combination of your System ID listed above and your Activation ID, listed here which will allow you to license Sibelius once it's been installed. Finally, you have the option to download another application, AudioScore Lite which has the ability to create notated music from sample audio recordings. We won't be using AudioScore during this course so it's up to you if you wish to download it and install it. So you want to download all of the installers that interest you and that are right for your operating system. Once all of the installers are downloaded to your computer, you can begin the process of installing them. On Mac you can simply locate and double-click on the installers to begin. On PC you probably have to right-click and unzip them before proceeding. I'm going to start by installing Sibelius, the application and for the sake of this video I will fast forward through this installation. And once the installation is successful, you can close all windows and move on to your next installation. Next, I'll install the Sibelius sounds and again I'm going to fast forward through this very quickly, you'll discover on your own that it takes quite some time to complete this installation, particularly this part of the install where it's installing every sampled sound in the library. When the Sibelius Sounds installation is complete, click finish and close all open installer windows. If you'd like to install PhotoScore Lite, you can do that next, it's a very quick and easy installation and you can also install AudioScore Lite at this time as well. This completes all of our installations but we still have to launch and license our copy of Sibelius. Now when you install Sibelius you don't know it yet, but you also installed an Avid License manager called Avid Link. On the Mac you'll find it already running in the upper right hand corner of your screen. On PC you'll find it in your system trey in the lower right corner. It's icon is a thick triangle with a circle around it. If you click on that icon, you can open or show Avid Link. On Avid Link's products page, you'll see the Avid applications that are installed on your computer. You can clearly see here that all I need to do to activate my new copy of Sibelius on this machine is to type in my System and Activation IDs and click Activate. For most of you this will work but if you're unlucky like me and online activation fails, you can try Avid's offline activation, which requires quite a few steps so let me take you through it. Click the disclosure triangle next to Avid Link's offline button, to view important information about offline activation including a web link that you'll need to visit and a very important Device ID. Click on the web link to be directed to Avid Software License Activation page. Here you'll need to once again type in your Sibelius Activation ID. Below that you can copy and paste in your device ID from your Avid Link window. Next type in your System ID and your Avid Account email address and click submit. The system may take a while to process your form, be patient. Next they'll provide you with a download link to a .bin file. I recommend saving or moving the file to your desktop so that you can find it more quickly. Once you have the .bin file located, return to the Avid Link window, browse for the .bin file, locate it, click open or okay, return to Avid Link, click Activate again and this time you should be successful. Within Avid Link you're able to view all of the information about your product activation, including subscription expiration dates, you'll even be able to update your Avid applications from here as updates become available. Now the last thing to do is to launch Sibelius, on the Mac I'm going to bring up my applications window from Go Applications, find the Sibelius application in the list and I recommend dragging the application into your dock so that you can find it more quickly next time. Click once on the application in the dock to launch Sibelius and wait for it to load. If you're on a PC a Sibelius icon was probably installed on your desktop during installation, you can double-click on that desktop icon to launch the application, if the icon is not on your desktop, type the word Sibelius into your PC search bar in your lower left hand corner of your computer screen, the application will show up in the resulting list and you can either click once to open it from there or you can pin it to your task bar, which is similar to the Mac's dock and you could launch it from there. All right it looks like we have a successful installation, licensing and launch of Sibelius Ultimate and now we're ready to start getting to know Sibelius.
- Advanced navigation options
- MIDI keyboard input of chord symbols
- Importing MIDI Files
- Pasting and importing lyrics
- Multiple voices and hidden objects
- Combining and separating notes into voices
- Inputting appoggiaturas and acciaccaturas
- Graphic notation
- Drum mapping and notation
- Transforming existing music
- Laying out parts