Join Julian Velard for an in-depth discussion in this video Harmonize a melody, part of Songwriting Techniques with Chords.
- When we start to look for chords to use in a song,…the first, and most important piece of information…to consider is the melody.…The melody, and the lyric set to it,…is the entry point to a song.…It's the first thing a listener pays attention to.…The role of harmony is to support and inform…the melody and lyric.…That's not to say that melody is the first thing…you should write when writing a song.…There is no one way to write a song.…Some people find a chord progression they like…and craft a melody on top of it.…Some people write lyrics first…and then set a melody to them.…
That said, in this course we are going to assume…you're happy with the melody you've written,…and you want to figure out the different kinds…of chords you can use beneath it.…You can always let the chords you come up with…influence you melody, but my focus here…is to open up your harmonic capabililties.…Therefore, we are going to treat the melody of the song…as a constant.…I've created a selection of short song examples…to demonstrate the principles of harmonizing a melody.…
In this course, musician Julian Velard demonstrates the many ways to write songs with chords, and how altering chords can change how a song sounds. He starts by explaining how chords and harmony affect a song's feel and form. Next, he shows how to harmonize a melody with chords, and demonstrates how changing the harmonic rhythm can affect the feel and sound of a song. Julian then illustrates how to form an entire song using chords. Finally, he goes deeper and shows how to use chord extensions as melody notes to create a more complex melody.
- Harmonizing a melody
- Changing the harmonic rhythm
- Treating the melody as a chord extension
- Moving from a verse to a chorus
- Transitioning from a chorus to a bridge