Join Patrick Rauland for an in-depth discussion in this video Configure taxes, part of Learning Shopify.
- [Instructor] Shopify does a great job…simplifying things for you.…They have tax professionals on hand,…that set pretty decent defaults,…but since this is a legal matter, and this is your store,…you need to make sure that everything is set up correctly.…Under Settings, and then Taxes,…you'll be able to see the defaults.…The settings on top are usually pretty good.…The top setting is for countries…where you display tax included with the price,…so if you're based in Europe,…where the tax is usually displayed that way,…you'll want to check this box.…
For a store in the US,…you'll probably want to leave it unchecked.…If you're selling digital goods,…you'll want to look into EU Digital Goods VAT Tax.…Even if you're not based in the EU,…you still need to look into the setting.…Before I go on to the next section,…I want to explain a concept.…Since this store is based in California,…for the purposes of taxation, we have nexus in California.…Nexus, is a legal term,…that means you have a physical presence of some sort.…
There are other ways of calculating nexus,…
Learn Shopify: The Basics takes you through the setup, configuration, publication, and management of your first online store using Shopify. Author Patrick Rauland helps you select a visual theme, set up products and inventory, collect payments, configure shipping, and manage orders with the Shopify dashboard. Along the way, he offers tips and best practices for running a successful online store.
- Why Shopify?
- Adding products and product information
- Selecting a theme for your Shopify store
- Customizing menus
- Setting up shipping
- Collecting payments online
- Configuring taxes
- Installing Shopify apps
- Managing orders, inventory, and sales from the dashboard
- Launching your store
Skill Level Beginner
1. Introduction to Shopify
2. Add Products
3. Select a Theme
4. Configure Shipping Settings
5. Collect Payment
6. The Shopify App Store
7. The Shopify Dashboard
8. Launch Your Store
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.