Join Patrick Rauland for an in-depth discussion in this video Add collections to a theme, part of Learn Shopify: The Basics.
- [Instructor] We've already seen the Featured Product section on the Home page. This is made up of with a collection. Collections are there to help us group products together. Now, let's start by creating a collection to feature our products. If you've never run an e-commerce store, you might want to put your most expensive products in a collection and hope the customers will buy them. But what you actually want to do is put a combination of your most popular products and the products where you make the greatest profit. Now, we could feature Mineral Water, but we probably don't make that much from these products.
They only sell for $2.80. Instead, we're going to display some of our more popular supplements. Users win because they find the products they're looking for, and we win because we're selling the highest value products. If I go to Products in the Admin, and then Collections, and then Collections, we can see the collection automatically created for us. Just to show you how this works, I'm going to delete this and start over. Nope.
Delete this collection. So, let's ad a new collection, and we'll call it Featured Products. We can leave all of these other settings alone for right now. We're gonna start by adding products. Click on Manually select products, and then click Save collection. Now, we're going to manually add them. Let's go with Calcium, Vitamin C, and a Multi-vitamin.
As soon as you click, the page will reload, and the item will be saved to the collection. If we go over here and open a new tab to view the home page, and scroll down, you'll notice that this has been replaced by the place holders. That's because we deleted the original collection, and we need to replace it. So, let's go back to our Theme customer, and under Home page, Featured products, we're gonna click on Featured Products.
Let's zoom in. There they are. That looks good. and we're probably gonna make more money this way. I'll click Save. And that is how you create a manual collection. We're gonna go back and create an automatic collection. Products, and then Collections. Let's call this one Automatic Collection.
And this time, we're going to leave Automatically select products based on conditions. We're going to only show supplements. Product type, is equal to, Supplement. And we'll want a little bit more than that. Let's go with Product price, is greater than, $9. So, we only show some of the more pricey ones. Let's click Save collection, and let's go back to the Theme customizer to add this to our store to see what it shows.
And let's blow this up, and let's scroll down. And I see a whole bunch of featured products. If we want to, we can go back, and change this to number of rows "one". The advantage of using an automatic collection is that as you add new products, new products will sort in here and automatically be added. You don't have to manually maintain this. Let's click Save, and we're done.
Learn Shopify: The Basics takes you through the setup, configuration, publication, and management of your first online store using Shopify. Author Patrick Rauland helps you select a visual theme, set up products and inventory, collect payments, configure shipping, and manage orders with the Shopify dashboard. Along the way, he offers tips and best practices for running a successful online store.
- Why Shopify?
- Adding products and product information
- Selecting a theme for your Shopify store
- Customizing menus
- Setting up shipping
- Collecting payments online
- Configuring taxes
- Installing Shopify apps
- Managing orders, inventory, and sales from the dashboard
- Launching your store