Join William Joseph for an in-depth discussion in this video The golden rules of document management, part of Learning Document Retention and Data Management.
- So let's talk about what I call…the Golden Rules of Document Management.…First and foremost, knowledge is power.…Your business runs on information,…and the information generated by your business…gives you a competitive edge over others in your industry.…This is very well illustrated by current events.…We've all heard about the NSA and the CIA…listening in on telephone conversations,…tracking emails, text messages, and the like.…
Why are they doing this?…Because those documents contain information,…information that these agencies believe…is important to give them an edge over terrorists.…The same is true for your business.…Take Coca-Cola, for instance.…Somewhere in a vault is the secret formula for Coke,…the intellectual property that gives Coke…an advantage over Pepsi.…Your business is no different.…You have a secret formula.…
The secret formula could be, for instance,…the programming for a particular application…that you've written, or it could be…the designs of a product that you're working on.…Alternatively, the information also could be…
- The golden rules of document and data retention
- Preserving knowledge, relationships, and achievements through documentation
- Federal and state requirements for retention
- Guidelines for tax records, contracts, and other documents
- Building a new policy
- Storage systems and tools to consider
By the end of the course, you'll be able to build a plan that satisfies all the requirements and also protects your company's proprietary information.
- Define document retention.
- Break down the golden rules of document management.
- Evaluate what types of documents need to be retained.
- Identify the legal requirements of document retention.
- Determine a good document retention policy.
- Distinguish an effective document retention policy.