Join William Joseph for an in-depth discussion in this video Who is affected by a document-retention policy?, part of Learning Document Retention and Data Management.
- The next thing to consider is Who Retains Documents?…This one's easy, everyone.…Everybody in your business generates…some sort of a document in his or her workday.…The question is whether those documents are important…to the business that they be retained…for a certain period of time?…So in generating document retention policy,…you need to include input from all of your staff.…Both Management and Administrative staff,…as well as such folks as Accounting, IT,…Field personnel and Human-resources staff.…
You need to determine what documents are they generating…and of those documents,…what are important to be retained and for how long?…This is not an assignment…that one person in a company can undertake.…Rather generating a document retention policy…is a team effort.…Everybody in a company needs to chip in…to determine the extent of the universe of documents…that that company creates.…and then to determine of those documents,…what is important to be retained, why and for how long?…Only with that type of a team effort…
- The golden rules of document and data retention
- Preserving knowledge, relationships, and achievements through documentation
- Federal and state requirements for retention
- Guidelines for tax records, contracts, and other documents
- Building a new policy
- Storage systems and tools to consider
By the end of the course, you'll be able to build a plan that satisfies all the requirements and also protects your company's proprietary information.