To work along with the demonstrations in SharePoint 2019 Essential Training: The Basics, you will need a SharePoint 2019 account with site member permissions. With this permission level, you will be able to create, edit, and delete documents and list items. This video also reviews the supported browsers for use with SharePoint 2019.
- [Instructor] In this course, I will be demonstrating the essential features of SharePoint. And if you would like to work along with me, try some of the things that I'm demonstrating, there are a couple of things that you'll need. First, you'll need to have SharePoint. And there are two primary versions of SharePoint. The first is SharePoint that's part of Office 365, which is called SharePoint Online. This is software that lives in the Microsoft cloud. SharePoint 2019, on the other hand, is a server that's installed in your organization, and it's often colloquially called SharePoint on-prem or on-premise to contrast it with SharePoint Online.
This course focuses on this latter version, SharePoint on-prem, SharePoint Server 2019. If you have SharePoint Online, you'll find lots of courses on SharePoint Online in the same training library where you found this course. But our focus here is SharePoint installed in your organization, and you'll need an account in SharePoint to work along with me. All of the SharePoint products run in a browser, so it behooves us to take a look at what browsers work with which operating systems and which combinations aren't really supported.
A general rule, in a Windows environment, Microsoft Edge and Microsoft Internet Explorer 11 are your best bets. Earlier versions of Internet Explorer are not supported for SharePoint 2019. If you're using Windows 10, here are your browsers. Edge, Internet Explorer 11, Firefox, and Chrome. And when you see a browser like Firefox or Chrome or Safari, for example, we're always talking about the latest versions of those other browsers.
If rather than Windows 10, you're running Windows 8, 8.1, or 7, then you can use the latest versions of Internet Explorer, Firefox, or Chrome. And if you are a Mac user, then you will running SharePoint in Mac OSX 10.8 or later using either Safari or Chrome. Personally, I prefer the Safari experience but it's up to you. And in Linux, your browsers are Firefox or Chrome to work with SharePoint 2019.
So a SharePoint account for your organization, appropriate permissions in SharePoint which we will talk about shortly, and a recommended browser, and you're ready to go. Let's continue with SharePoint 2019.
- Define SharePoint.
- Recall what level to set permissions when setting up security groups.
- Recall the limitations of opening a document in the Online version of SharePoint.
- Explain how to upload a folder from your documents folder to your SharePoint team site.
- Name the default that has been removed from SharePoint 2019 that limits document editing to one user at a time.
- Explain how to share a particular document on your team site.