- The golden rules of document and data retention
- Preserving knowledge, relationships, and achievements through documentation
- Federal and state requirements for retention
- Guidelines for tax records, contracts, and other documents
- Building a new policy
- Storage systems and tools to consider
By the end of the course, you'll be able to build a plan that satisfies all the requirements and also protects your company's proprietary information.
- Define document retention.
- Break down the golden rules of document management.
- Evaluate what types of documents need to be retained.
- Identify the legal requirements of document retention.
- Determine a good document retention policy.
- Distinguish an effective document retention policy.
Skill Level Beginner
- Hi, I'm Bill Joseph and welcome to Document Retention and Data Management Fundamentals. The goal of this course is to provide you with an understanding of the key aspects of document retention policy. In a solid foundation upon which you can start to build a document retention policy that fits your needs. In this course, I'll start by defining document retention, including talking about the goals of any document retention system and the history of such systems over time. Next, we'll discuss how to create a document retention policy, including things to consider from business, legal and accounting perspectives.
I'll also explore some of the laws impacting document retention, both state and federal. Finally, I will discuss some experiences that I have had with document retention policies, both good and bad, as well as some resources you might consider using in the administration of your own document retention policy. We'll be covering these items plus plenty of other tools and techniques. So, let's get started with Document Retention and Data Management Fundamentals.