Join Ron Davis for an in-depth discussion in this video Functionality common to all site and collection templates, part of SharePoint 2013: Site and Collection Templates.
- In SharePoint 2013, no matter what template you pick, you're going to have certain areas of functionality that work on all templates. What I have up here now is a Team Site. And, if we look in the Team Site, you can see one of the areas of functionality that is the same. So if I click over here on this little gear, which means Site Settings, and I come down and I look at Site Contents, see, I have this concept of adding an app. And if I click Add an App, I can add different libraries, a Wiki page, a picture library, et cetera.
All of your templates are going to have certain apps and allow you to add them. Another thing they're going to have, if we go into Site Settings, they're going to have certain things you're allowed to do. For one thing, Users and Permissions, you're gonna be able to set up permissions. Of course this assumes that you're either a site administrator or that you're a collection administrator or a form administrator, or you're a regular user that's been given permission to do these things.
So you can set up permissions. You can do Site Administration. You can change the Look and Feel of sites. Here's Change the look, for example. And then, within the Change the look, you can just pick a template, try it out, and it's going to show you what this site would look like with this template applied. And all of your sites are going to have this functionality with them to allow you to come through and do some kind of customization. I don't wanna change that, so I'm gonna say no. All of the sites are going to have some kind of a search, so you can go in and do search, and change your different searches.
And now that will depend greatly on what template you pick, varying if you have a enterprise search center or basic search center, or just a standard site, and they're going to have different search features within them. If I come over here, to a publishing site, you're gonna see the feature set change, but still has the idea ... Let me get back over to Site Settings. So I'm in Site Settings for a publishing site. You see, I still have Look and Feel. But it's expanded on out. So there I have different things that I can do.
But here's Change the look, and it's the same thing here as we just looked at a minute ago when we were on our Team Site. We could go in and change the look, if we wanted to. So all sites have certain functionalities that they allow.
- Explore the features of the Project Site.
- Break down how to utilize the Document Center template.
- Examine the features of the Record Center.
- Recognize how to utilize the My Site host.
- Explore the features of the Enterprise Wiki site.
- Identify how to use the Product Catalog template.
- Examine the features of the Publishing site.