You cannot open a Google doc directly in Microsoft Word. In this video, see what happens when you try, and learn why you need to convert those documents to the Word file format first.
- [Tutor] When moving files from G Suite to Office 365,…none of the Google file formats…can be opened in the Microsoft apps.…I want to show you what happens…when I try to open Google Docs in Word…without first converting them.…This is important if you have a lot of Word documents…to migrate over to SharePoint.…Now Google and Microsoft have different file formats.…Documents created in Google Docs…are saved with a .gdoc file extension.…Microsoft Word are saved with a .docx file extension.…
Let's first open up this file in Google Docs…so that we can see what it's supposed to look like.…We'll take a quick look.…We can see what it's supposed to look like.…Pretty simple, basic document.…Now let's see what happens when we try to open it in Word.…Within Word we're going to navigate…to our Google Drive on our local computer…so that we can open that file directly.…There it is and let's see what happens.…
See, all we get is a complicated link to Google Drive.…Not very useful is it?…Word can't render a Google Doc.…Now let's take a look at what that looks like in SharePoint.…
- Identify the categories available for filtering files in SharePoint.
- Recall how to share a file with someone outside of an organization.
- Explain how to use special fonts from Google Docs in a Word file.
- Determine how to incorporate charts from Google Sheets into Excel.
- Recognize the default process of downloading multiple files from Google Drive all at once.