- I wanted to talk about experiences,…both good and bad, that I have had as an attorney…with document retention policies.…I can recall one experience…where I had asked a client for documents…and the client directed me to a room…that was literally filled floor to ceiling…with boxes of documents.…And I had to physically climb over the documents…looking for documents that might be important…to the particular case that we were involved…with at the time.…Obviously, that is not the best system…of document retention.…
Sure, documents were being retained…but there was no focus put on how those documents…were stored in such a manner that they could be retrieved.…Rather it was just up to me to climb the…Mount Everest of documents trying…to identify what documents I might be interested in.…Another situation I became involved with is a client…who, helpfully, decided to scan all…of their hard copy documents into a database…so that they would be easier to retrieve.…
But then, unhelpfully, lost the scanned files and,…at the same time, shredded the original documents…
- The golden rules of document and data retention
- Preserving knowledge, relationships, and achievements through documentation
- Federal and state requirements for retention
- Guidelines for tax records, contracts, and other documents
- Building a new policy
- Storage systems and tools to consider
By the end of the course, you'll be able to build a plan that satisfies all the requirements and also protects your company's proprietary information.
- Define document retention.
- Break down the golden rules of document management.
- Evaluate what types of documents need to be retained.
- Identify the legal requirements of document retention.
- Determine a good document retention policy.
- Distinguish an effective document retention policy.